I like homemade stuff. I like homemade food. I like homemade crafty stuff. I just like it.
I like the way it makes me feel. I make about 90 % of what we use. I do not make our clothes (the kids are SO happy about that), and I go back and forth on making our shampoo. I make it…then I end up cheating on my shampoo for another…sorry shampoo. You just aren’t the same.
The wipe solution that I make for milking is actually the same recipe as the one that I make for the baby. Except I use it on the teats of the animals before I milk, and I use it on the baby’s tush after he goes stinky.
I use most of my products from Mountain Rose Herbs because I trust their quality.
My Homemade Wipe Solution is simple. I usually make a big batch..enough to fill the two little shoe-box totes at the house for the baby, and the one tote for the “teat” wipes at the barn. I also make a tad extra to keep in a mason jar just in case some of them need moistened as times goes by (see pic at the top).
Homemade Wipes (for milking animals or baby)
- 2 Tbsp. per quart –Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap (I get mine from Amazon, you can get yours whereever you want)
- 3 gels per quart- Vitamin E gel caps (I go back and forth where I get mine)
- 1 Tbsp. per quart Aloe Vera Gel (Mountain Rose Herbs)
- 1 Tbsp. per quart Witch Hazel (Mountain Rose Herbs)
- 1 Tb. per quart Sweet Almond Oil (Mountain Rose Herbs)
- 1 quart water (per quart made)
As I have said before…I am an eyeballer..these are approximate measurements so make it how you see fit. These measurements will make about 1 quart of wipe solution. I make way more at a time.
To make the wipes:
- Separate a roll of paper towels single file into your container (I use a tote style shoe-box- see pic below).
- In a sauce pan heat water to a boil. Turn off heat.
- Mix in all ingredients and allow to cool.
- Stir a few times while cooling.
- Pour over paper towels in tote…flip stack over several times to coat it all.
Note: The solution does not have to be room temp to pour over paper towels just not hot. Hot + Plastic = Melt
Like I said, I use these for the baby…and to wipe down Audrey our goat before I milk her (and Agnus our cow too when she is in milk).
To use for milking:
- Wipe down the animals teats and under belly thoroughly with a wipe.
- Using a spray bottle with water in it rinse the teats and underbelly.
- Pat dry and you are ready to milk.
To use for the baby:
Use as you would use commercial baby wipes, except feel great about the fact that you are not putting toxins into your child’s system 🙂
These are easy, and economical.
You could go even further by using eco-friendly reusable material in place of the paper towels…but that is my “cheat” area. I am just not ready for reusable toilet paper and paper towels in my life….sorry.
So, there ya have it.